Zoom: The Power Behind a Backdrop

Zoom: The Power Behind a Backdrop

If you’ve had to deal with large meeting calls or webinars at Texas State, then chances are, you’re familiar with the video chat software Zoom. With a stylish and easy-to-use interface, it’s no wonder that Zoom is the popular choice for web conferencing.

When the time comes to set up the webcam, you immediately become aware of your environment, no matter if you’re at a coffee shop, in a cube farm at work, or your residence hall. I don’t know about you guys, but I’d rather not have my coworkers or my roommate bobbing in the back of my important conference call. Luckily for us, Zoom has a fantastic feature allowing the incorporation of a virtual background, no green screen necessary.

In addition to Zoom’s wide array of features—from screen recording to adding up to five hundred participants in one conference call—you’re able to easily enable a virtual background no matter where you are. This protects anyone who could get caught up behind my webcam from being unwillingly broadcasted to the entire call, making meetings a breeze to do anywhere throughout the day.

Zoom allows the use of any pictures available on your computer, which means darting back and forth between study rooms to find a presentable environment isn’t an issue anymore. Plus, setting your virtual background is super easy! Add an image of your choice and you’re good to go. You, your meeting constituents, and everyone in your general surroundings will benefit from the ease of privacy.

Besides, who doesn’t love a good personalized background? Whether you’re needing a professional, blank background or want to goof around with some colleagues—Zoom’s virtual backgrounds are what everyone needs to spice up their workday. From privacy to general customization, you’ve got to try it!

Eva Nobles is a freshman majoring in advertising and a student employee in the IT Assistance Center.