A glimpse into Zoom mobile

A glimpse into Zoom mobile

By this point, I think it’s safe enough to assume that everyone on campus has been in a Zoom meeting, whether for work, class, or having a much-needed session catching up with loved ones. I hope you’ve been able to test out some features like recording the call, using virtual backgrounds, and the interactive bells and whistles as well.

The main problem I’ve heard fellow students talk about regarding Zoom is that their computer doesn’t work well while running the program. Don’t worry! If this is an issue you’ve been having, there’s a simple solution. Grab a smartphone and download the Zoom mobile app from the Apple App Store or Google Play to have easy, portable access to any Zoom call.

There’s no missing out on Zoom’s best features even when you’re using their mobile app. You have the ability to apply and change your virtual backgrounds from the selection uploaded from your desktop settings. I took some time this week to play around with how smartphones handle virtual backgrounds and it went just as smoothly as using my laptop! PRO TIP: Get yourself in front of a blank wall to get the clearest background experience.

Another one of my favorite new features included in Zoom mobile is the “touch up your appearance” filter. Anyone that enjoys Instagram or Snapchat story filters will be familiar with this, as your face will have a light blurring filter over it. Anyone that has morning Zoom meetings should test this out, as it makes you look completely awake, which we all know is a struggle.

With this, it’s important to use Zoom in whichever way works best for you. If using it on-the-go with your mobile device is easier for your needs, do it! The features you know and love are extremely similar. All of the power of Zoom lies in the palm of your hand.

Eva Nobles is a freshman majoring in advertising and a student employee in the IT Assistance Center.