Creativity goes digital: Paint or draw using technology

The world continues to progress in the realm of technology. It seems like every year there’s a new model of phone or laptop we should have, and gaming console release dates feel like a worldwide holiday! Something that seems to go under the radar of the general population is the creative side of all this new tech. Today we’ll be diving deeper into what the artistic side of new tech has to offer, as well as how and where to access it for yourself.

When using the term “digital art,” I’m not just referring to the more commonly known forms like photography or animation; I’m speaking of the many ways you can paint or draw with technology. The devices that have this ability are widespread and easily accessible. All you need is some type of smartphone, tablet, or computer. Nothing fancy, just find a touch screen and you’re halfway there!  

My favorite thing about creating on my iPad or iPhone is that there’s so many different types of art to choose from, like Pigment coloring pages or Autodesk Sketchbook (for both iOS and Android). The app I tend to gravitate towards for sketching is Adobe Illustrator, which I can use on both of my Apple devices! All of the platforms that Adobe has to offer are perfect for any artist’s toolkit, so keeping the Adobe Creative Cloud handy is never a bad idea. 

I find it important for people to know that there are no limitations to art. If you desperately want to try creating digital art, just download any drawing app and get started. With a majority of our time being spent at home, taking advantage of the resources you have has become a key part to staying active and entertained! That being said, go grab your smartphone and get to doodling! 

Eva Nobles is a sophomore majoring in advertising and a student employee in the IT Assistance Center.