How one grad student stays a step ahead

How one grad student stays a step ahead

It is the beginning of a new semester, and things are about to gear up. As a first-year graduate student (and staff member), I tend to find it challenging to decide on the perfect way to manage all the due dates for assignments, discussions, readings, papers, and so much more for school (on top of my work activities). If I don’t get this under control quickly, I may forget something along the way. Some of you may be feeling the same way, so I found some tools that are helping me to stay a step ahead.

As a grad student, the first thing I did was bookmark the Bobcat Experience link.  This site provides links to all the resources needed to be successful. In addition, you can customize the tiles to suit your experience and see what you want. For example, below is the view of my experience and what is important to me.

Bobcat Experience web page tile view.

Your Bobcat Experience will have different tiles organized in priority for your needs, with access to the services and departments you need across campuses. Now that I have a place to access everything I need, such as Office365, Academic Services, Canvas, and Send&Print, in one easy-to-find location, I can now focus on my classes. All my essential service and support links are in one place. Check!

Canvas

Next, I needed to manage and track my coursework due dates. Since this is my first semester in grad school, I am new to Canvas. However, after trial and error using various tools, I found a few that work great for me. Read on and see if any of them pique your interest.

Many instructors use the Canvas calendar feature, so you know exactly what assignments are coming up and when they are due. This is great, but then I thought, since I’m in Outlook all the time, I wonder if I can get the due dates sent to my calendar. What do you know, it is possible to copy the feed link and add it to any calendar app that takes iCal feeds (Google Calendar, iCal, Outlook, etc.). Excellent! Now I can get updates directly in my calendar.

Microsoft

Now that I have the Canvas calendar feed directly in my Outlook app, I can plan by setting up reminders, blocking time, and completing my assignments before the due date. By the way, you get the Microsoft 365 suite just for being a Bobcat! Organizing my Outlook calendar in advance is helpful because when things change in Canvas, I automatically get the changes in my calendar.

Yes, I am that person who not only uses my electronic calendar but also likes to use lists so I can check items off as I go along. Doing so makes me feel accomplished and assured that I am making progress.

To Do

I use the simple Microsoft To Do list app that is available for desktop and mobile devices. I simply add the tasks, select dates for each, set reminders, and check them off as I go along. I even add more details like documents, notes, reminders, and more to the task so I have all I need while on the go. The fun thing is the chime sound when I mark something complete. Ahh, that sense of accomplishment is nice.

There you have it, just a few tools that have helped me stay ahead of all that’s expected of me as a student. If these do not work out for you, Microsoft offers other tools like Teams and Planner. If you have time, check them out.

Getting organized can be stressful, but it doesn’t have to be. Find the right tool (or tools), and you’ll stay on top of all those important coursework dates and activities.

Rebecca Ormsby is a graduate student and a communications specialist in the IT Marketing and Communications office.