Hard skills vs. Soft skills

Hard skills vs. Soft skills

I’ve often noticed in myself, and others, that concentration in the Information Technology field has been to put emphasis on our technical (hard) skills. While these skills are certainly important, I believe that what makes or breaks a great employee are their soft skills. I wanted to take the time to suggest a couple of resources that helped me tackle my job. 

“What is the difference between hard skills and soft skills? Hard skills refer to the job-related knowledge and abilities that employees need to perform their job duties effectively. Soft skills, on the other hand, are the personal qualities that help employees really thrive in the workplace.”

Source: https://resources.workable.com/hr-terms/hard-skills-vs-soft-skills

Time Management 

If you’ve ever felt overwhelmed with your workload, don’t have enough hours in the day or just don’t see a light at the end of the tunnel to get caught up, I highly recommend this book for anyone regardless of their field. I have certainly been in the situation of feeling work pile up and not having a plan to get through it. This book was extremely transformative in how I approach things and organize my time.  

Book cover: Time Management for System Administrators, Stop Working Late and Start Working Smart by Thomas A. Limoncelli book cover.

This book can be found on the University Libraries “Start your Research” page by searching the book title or author name. For quick access to the book, use this link – https://www.oreilly.com/library/view/time-management-for/0596007833/. ProTip: You’re able to log in to this site for free with your TXST credentials. 

It may be targeted toward System Administrators however, the concepts are valid for any field as they go over a few concepts that translate well to any job. You’ll also see some mentions of America Online and Netscape, but you can just enjoy the blissful nostalgia/PTSD that comes with that. 

Highlights: 

• Manage interruptions 
  • Eliminate time wasters
  • Keep an effective calendar 
  • Develop routines for things that occur regularly 
  • Use your brain only for what you’re currently working on 
  • Prioritize based on customer expectations 
  • Document and automate processes for faster execution 

Cultivating a Growth Mindset 

A teammate and friend of mine recently recommended a LinkedIn Learning video Cultivating a Growth Mindset that I think is more than worth the one hour it takes to watch. 

A few highlights I’d like to share from the training: 

Topic Brief Description
Growth vs. Fixed Mindset  Growth mindset is about lifelong learning and belief in your ability to grow and develop. Failure is a learning experience and is an opportunity for practice.  

A fixed mindset is that skills and abilities are fixed and won’t change over time. This is where complacency happens in that you feel you can’t get better or grow. 

Leadership Myths
Leaders are born, not made – This is untrue. 

Key leadership skills: 

• Encourage learning through trial and error 
  • Takes time to grow into your role as a leader 
  • Learn as you go and don’t wait for all the answers 
  • Ask others for feedback 
  • Be flexible and adaptable in approach 
Studying vs. Learning  You study to reach a goal, which is not necessarily learning. 

Learning is about exploring, testing new ideas and pursuing areas that interest you. 

Hope this has helped you in whatever your journey may be. Good luck! 

Ryan Lara is a technology architect for Network Operations.