Dr. Lea Velez embraces change in the Teaching Space of Tomorrow

“I have to be here.” 

When Dr. Lea Velez first received an informational email inviting residency proposals for Texas State University’s high-tech Teaching Space of Tomorrow, she says, “I looked at it. And then I looked away, and then I looked at it again, and I thought, ‘This sounds so cool.’” Ultimately, Velez, a licensed master social worker and clinical lecturer in the university’s School of Social Work, submitted a proposal. “I made that initial meeting with Dr. Solis, talked about my goals, and looked at the space. As soon as I saw it, I decided, ‘I have to be here.’ There’s something about this space.”  

Improving wellbeing  

When Velez applied to become the Teaching Space of Tomorrow’s second Instructor in Residence, her proposal focused on fulfilling one of the Grand Challenges of Social Work: Harnessing Technology for Social Good. From the very start of her career, Velez has remained committed to enhancing the wellbeing of others. “I had different roles in various agencies,” she says, “and there was always this underlying theme of homelessness, addiction, criminal involvement. I was particularly drawn to populations that were often forgotten or dehumanized.”  

In the Teaching Space of Tomorrow, Velez’s desire to enhance the wellbeing of others also extends to students. Velez concentrates on improving the academic lives of her online learners by combatting what she refers to as “Zoom Fatigue.” Velez explains, “I wanted to reframe that [fatigue] and flip it somehow to elicit the excitement of being in a virtual space by maximizing technology and helping students learn to use the tools available here.” For Velez, social work and teaching are all about creating opportunities for success.  

Challenging perceptions  

Velez has fun with the floor-to-ceiling green screen behind her, treating students to images of outer space, the beach, or displays matching the day’s learning theme. She sometimes shows students videos, then asks them to reflect on the content. Velez uses technology to create breakout groups which work together to address authentic scenarios. “I recorded a video of myself explaining the instructions,” she recalls, “and then during class I pretended to be the assistant to my video-self, asking questions and clarifying information. The students thought I was so silly.” There may have been laughter, but there was also shared learning. 

During Velez’s tenure, the Teaching Space of Tomorrow has served as a vehicle for exploring new territory, by hosting community outreach. Through the local organization Hands of Hope, Velez taught computer skills online to a small group of women determined to overcome struggle and improve their lives. She’s also hoping to connect with assisted care facilities in the San Marcos area to offer online technology classes for residents. “I’m passionate about working with older adults and intergenerational service learning,” Velez explains. In every lesson, activity, and outreach she plans, Velez focuses on improving quality of life by leveraging technology for social good. From Zoom Fatigue, to aging, to homelessness, Velez believes change comes from challenging perceptions. 

Teaching outside the box 

This kind of creative approach underscores Velez’s time in the Teaching Space of Tomorrow. “Sometimes in academia,” she says, “we can be, perhaps, afraid of being outside the box. And that’s one difference I have found about this space, this environment, and everyone I’ve interacted with. I feel the freedom to be outside the box. And that is so invigorating. Being here and being able to think creatively have given me the confidence to lean into creativity even more.”  

By embracing change, Velez has contributed to the constant evolution of the Teaching Space of Tomorrow. As instructors like her use the space for different courses and new outreach initiatives, modifications are inevitable. And that’s exactly the point, reflects Velez. “If we have only one way to measure success, or teach, or deliver information, then we’re missing a lot of opportunities to learn, grow, and see success. I think this whole space shakes things up a little bit.”

Kimberly Conner is a publications writer in the IT Marketing and Communications office.